The Lighter Way to Enjoy Culture Shock

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boone, North Carolina, United States

Sunday, June 25, 2006

The following are strictly personal views/observations and in no way reflect the views of the Peace Corp nor the federal government of the United States.

Went to Chisinau yesterday, I haven't been to the capital city since we first arrived in Moldova. We got to go out to eat, I have really missed that activity. We ate at a Lebanese restaurant, and at a pizza restaurant. The Lebanese food was fantastic, very ethnic. The restaurant had the feel of misogynism. Pizza in Moldova is pretty much the same as pizza in America but they have a more unique variety of toppings here, like pickles and corn. Moldovans don't set limits on the possibilities of pizza toppings, here the sky is the limit.
At every restaurant I have been to thus far in Moldova, all have hookah. I have yet to have partaken, but I intend to sometime. I think more restaurants in America should have post-meal hookah.
One of the coolest things here is the variety of restaurants in Chisinau, any ethnicity of food you can imagine, there is a restaurant for it in the capital city. Uzbekistan, Lebanese, Moroccan, Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian, British (in the form of potato bar), American, etc. I cant wait to try them all!
We went to a big alimentara (grocery store) yesterday, it was the most exciting trip to a alimentara ever. Its crazy how much you appreciate something once you have been deprived of it for an extended period of time. I got potato chips (flavored: barbecue, sour cream and dill, bacon, hot dog), white chocolate/chocolate/hazelnut nutella, a coke, and baby wipes.
This upcoming week is the American embassy/Chamber of Commerce independence party. It is in Chisinau and its for the whole American community in Moldova, which consists primarily of Peace Corp, embassy employees and missionaries. Thus it will be quite the motley crew at this affair. Its gonna be food, open bar, fireworks and lots of English speaking! (English speaking is another thing you never miss till it is gone) I have my fingers crossed for hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, and coke. But, I hear its going to be a pig roast/barbecue, known in Moldova as frigaroi, which is cool cause I do like barbecue!
Then later in the week we are taking a trip/tour of the south of Moldova. Ill let yall know how that is...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home