The Lighter Way to Enjoy Culture Shock

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boone, North Carolina, United States

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Scandal of Knees

The reaction of the general Turkish male populace to the sight of exposed female knees is similar to the reaction shown by the American male populace if a woman was walking down the street with a nipple slightly exposed.

It seems that anywhere in Istanbul it is obvious when an exposed-knee woman is walking down the street due to the flock of goggle eyed men turning, staring and commenting.

What I wonder is if they stare at local knees as well as foreign knees? Being a foreigner I can only speak to my own experiences which are composed of unremitting knee staring.

My theory is that they think that foreign female knees are different from Turkish female knees, for instance maybe there is a misconception that foreign knees bend backwards, in the opposite direction of regular knees. Or maybe they think that nipples sprout from our knees instead of our breasts thus they are giving thorough visual inspection in search of a knee nipple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home